Renovations and Updates (Part 2: The Half Bathroom/Water Closet)

Fortunately, the half bath was in pretty decent shape,…at the time of the renovation (we’ll get to the tragedies that ensued later). The existing sink was falling apart, and oversized for that small space. Also, the awful and tacky wainscoting of the 80’s/early 90’s had to go. Apologies for putting the random chair in the shot! Also a missed opportunity to show the outdated recessed medicine cabinet.

The walls were painted with a color akin to robin’s egg blue. It seemed to brighten up the bathroom quite a bit. Replaced the light above the toilet with a brighter LED pull chain (the existing light was a pull chain too). My friend RR helped with filling up the exposed wall where the recessed medicine cabinet was, as well as route some electricity for a vanity light.

Once we spackled and hid the sheet rock where the recess used to be, onward with the wainscoting!

There was a lot of wainscoting on the first floor area, specifically the kitchen. I figured it made the most sense to continue the wainscoting into the half bath/water closet, since it was adjacent to the kitchen. Unfortunately, for some reason, whoever did the work the property ages ago decided to set the height of the wainscoting in the bathroom much higher than the kitchen. It was a little different, but again, there was about an 1/8 inch recess between the top half of the wall compared to the bottom half of the wall where the old wainscoting was. This was most likely done to make the chair rail sit flat between the wall above and the wainscoting.

And now…we have light!

Well…at least more light than before. At this point the vanity mirror and light were installed, and the chair rail, which may appear to be straight, but it’s a bit off. I didn’t use my laser level, but it’s close-ish. Hell, it looks straight in the photos.

We also removed the old electrical box and we added a new electrical box to include the GFCI outlet and new light switch for the new vanity light.

I apologize for not having more photos through the steps, but basically sourced a newer, smaller sink, to make the bathroom feel bigger. The drawer fronts were matched to be very similar in style to the shaker-style cabinet doors in the kitchen.

Installed an MDF radiator cover, and tiles as well, to complete the seamless feel between the kitchen and the half bathroom. Overall, the bathroom is night and day from what it was originally.

3-4 months after the renovation…

As luck would have it with these types of renovations, it always seems like once these properties get rented out, everything that COULD go wrong, DOES go wrong. Case-in-point…the 2nd floor bathroom was leaking down to the basement. After poking holes and finagling my camera snake through the walls, I eventually pinpointed the problem to be the sewage drain pipe which had a crack in it.

Had to cut the pipe all the way down to the basement.

And then there was the mess that was made during the replacement process.

And the main drain pipe finally cut out.

Needless to say, this was a setback that I had to get fixed. Fortunately, I got this fixed a month before the tenant moved in (at the time, this was a rental property, which; as of the date that this post has been published, the house is currently being sold). But that was an extremely painful experience to deal with.